Monday, June 18, 2007

A "Confederacy of Dunces"

Anonymous reader speaks up...

OUTRAGE! Yet another Greenville citizen is dead because of DRMC incompetence. Terry Huang, owner of the Hunan, died Monday in Memphis after being mismanaged for over 12 hours at DRMC. I know the medical system there from the inside and it is broken.

In 2007, this man died from something that doctors have been successfully treating since 1920. In 20 years of working in the medical field, I have never heard of someone dying from what he died from, even in third-world countries. I hope the Huang's sue DRMC out of business. There should be a state and federal investigation.

I too, have heard the reports of Terry Huang's untimely death, and express my condolences to his wife and family for the loss of this truly bright and talented man.

But why are we so surprised? Countless contributors to the Scoop have written of the horrendous conditions that exist at DRMC as well as the lack of competent staff, and yet we continue to allow our health care system to be ruined by its "Confederacy of Dunces!" The current administration is arrogant, corrupt and uncaring.

Latest word on the street is that DRMC will soon lose 5 of its 6 ER physicians. It seems that the ER Docs have had enough of Ray and his incompetent administration's inability to staff the hospital with qualified nurses. A physician recently told me that the entire ER is staffed with high paid "contract" nurses who fly in for a two week stint and then disappear.

The night that I took my son there for a fractured arm, we were there over five hours. Most of the time was spent simply waiting for staff to do their job...lab, radiology and finally a doctor. I don't think I even saw a nurse there that evening.

The issue that puzzles me most is how DRMC can continue to boast of its designation as a "Level II Trauma Center." In order to be verified by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) as a Level II Trauma Center, you must provide "24-hour-a-day commitment by the medical staff, including trauma surgeons, emergency physicians, anesthesiologists, neurosurgeons and orthopedic specialists."

I continue to hear horror stories from patients who were told that their "emergency" would have to wait because no specialist was on call. DRMC’s only neurosurgeon was just “laid off” by Ray Humphreys. Why?

As for 24 hour-a-day orthopedic coverage, I doubt that is possible now that they are down to one orthopedist. How are they going to run an ER with only one physician left? These are the issues that need to be investigated at both the state and federal levels.

As always, there are many more questions than answers at DRMC. "Outrage" certainly seems to be the theme of the month for Greenvillians. Our apathy toward the blatant arrogance and incompetence of our elected and appointed "leaders" have cost us millions of dollars in revenue this month, and now another precious life, which is priceless.



Anonymous said...

Peter Drucker and other economists have stated that without competition, any organizations will become incompetent and fail. DRMC no longer has KDH as competition. They lied about how they bought the hospital and are now beginning to become bankrupt because no decent, honest, moral, ethical RN or other medical staff wants to work there.

Anonymous said...

my mother died on October first of 2006. I will carry the guilt of the fact that I let her stay at DRMC too long for the rest of my life. My mother was 80 years old, but not like most 80 year olds she was still very full of life. she was the mother of 8 children and a grandmother of 24 and a great grand mother of 20 and a great-great grandmother of 3, she loved us all and she loved life. it all started with a fractured pelvis, the nurses on 2 east let her fall out of the bed after we had told them she was not herself, because she had contracted a urinary tract infection from a catheter that had not been cleaned and managed properly. She was so out of it she thought she could walk. we asked them to please keep the rails up on the bed, their comment was it was against the law we found out later that if the family request it they could, well duh we thought we had requested it when we asked them to keep the rails up, anyway when she fell out of the bed, and they finally put her back in the bed she coded and aspirated she wound up in ICU with a 10% chance of survival. Guess what she survived! Dr Amita Patel wanted us to pull her off all machines, she even showed my niece and myself what could happen if she did survive. There was a man in ICU eyes all swollen and rolled back in his head, on a vent and a dialysis machine, a worse case example. thank God we said no. she had pneumonia, sepsis(blood poison) and something called clostridium defecil(CD) which can be deadly by itself. It's from taking so many antibiotics, but she survived. Mama was in and out of the hospital many times between april 5 and september 28, she had not eaten solid food since july 4 2006. she was at Washington care for rehab to learn how to walk again, by the way they took the best care they could of her, but I do want to add family should always check up on family members in homes reguardless of where they are. I could tell you when something was wrong just by the way my mother would talk or look at me, and I'm no Dr. Back to the food, they said that sometimes when you are on so many antibiotics it will kill your appetite, Bless her heart she fought so hard. On sept. 22 we took her back to the hospital because she started throwing up the little bit of soup she was eating, they had already removed her gall bladder about a month before this but she still couldn't eat, during the time of the GB surgery we asked over and over if they would move her to Jackson, we were told if WE could find a dr. that would take her then sure they would move her. My brother through connections he had with Baptist hospital found 3 Dr. that said they would take her, by the time they finished talking to Patel they had all 3 refused. We told them everything we knew that was wrong with her. this time after 6 days of hospitalization and no answers I get a call saying they are sending her back to Washington Care, I asked Patel on the phone to Please send her to Jackson, her response was I am not sending her to Jackson by ambulance for throwing up and have them laugh at me she said the only way we could take her to Jackson was by car, so they released her to me. By the time I got to St. Dominics, (keep in mind my mother was alert on the trip there) The ST. D. staff told us in 5 hours more than they had in 6 days. My mothers diagnosis was, are you ready for this, Staph all over her body, so bad it was oozing out of her skin, Sepsis, Yeast in her Gut, pneumonia, she was suffering from SEVERE malnutrition, dehydration., her kidneys were shutting down, her liver was shutting down and her intestines were already shut down. Please if you love your family members, take my advise don't leave them here. I will have to live with the decisions I made for the rest of my life, I miss her terribly, and suing the hospital and Dr. won't bring her back, it will just keep the wounds open, the best thing I can do is tell my story, and try to keep someone else from making the same horrible mistake I did. If you have any questions I can be emailed at