Thursday, February 15, 2007

Where have all the Nurses Gone?

A local reader ponders...

I've read the interesting comments re: DMRC, the Burn Center's loss, and the poor state of affairs in Greenville. At such a sorry state it seems all we can do now is to improve all the problems--could it get worse?

Maybe, but someone would certainly have to go to jail in that case. One alarming fact I haven't heard much about is the small number of KDH staff that were absorbed by DRMC and I'm not referring to their part-time staff that worked at both hospitals. So far, I've counted only six staff--RN, LPN and clerical staff members.

What happened to the others? Why did DRMC have to hire 50 new Filipino nurses if there were RN's already on hand at KDH? I know most of the answers but want input from the blog.

Billw_willy

That is an excellent question and one that was recently answered for me when I ran into a local physician who also practices in Cleveland. He told me that his practice in Cleveland was booming and that walking into Bolivar Medical Center was like walking into King's Daughters Hospital.

When I asked what he meant, he stated that almost every employee from King's Daughters was now working at Bolivar Medical Center. He went on to say that it was not just the nursing staff, but ancillary and clerical staff as well.

I knew that their Chief Nursing Officer was a previous KDH employee who was well respected in the medical community, but still found it odd that so many Greenville residents would choose to drive 80 miles a day if they had secure jobs at DRMC.

Personally, I have never heard much good about Bolivar Medical Center and I expressed this to my physician friend. He agreed that in the past it was not a top-notch medical facility, but that under its new corporate ownership, it had made great strides and had employed some of the best clinical staff in the Delta.

As for DRMC's Filipino nurses, I have heard that rumor as well. It would seem that DRMC is in very sad shape if local nurses opt to drive to another city rather than work at our local hospital. From the little I know of current immigration laws, I would be dubious of 50 Filipinos being ushered into Greenville any time soon.

It is no revelation that I am not a fan of DRMC and its current administration. It is truly a shame that the once noted medical center has fallen victim to power-mongers who have little regard for the quality of medical care in Greenville.

In parting with my friend, I asked him what he thought about the destiny of DRMC. He simply smiled at me and said, "that chapter is being written as we speak."

So...... at least we know where our nurses are.

P.S. I would love to hear from someone who works at DRMC. Surely, someone must support our local medical facility. I will print any and all opposing or supporting views. Let's hear from you Delta.

Forthright


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many nurses have left DRMC, not just the ones from KDH. The reason the nurses are leaving are bad management, poor treatment, and unrealistic expectations. The problems started when dear Ray came and brought his little group with him, and until they leave, don't expect to see any of these nurses return.
As most of you have noticed, the nurses that have left have been your seasoned, experienced nurses. These are nurses who know when their hard earned license is being put on the line. Most of the ones who have left had been at DRMC anywhere from 5 years to 25+ years. DRMC is one of the only places I've seen that punishes employees for loyalty.
Most of the nurses at DRMC now are contract nurses and travel nurses, and the majoriy of those wont renew their contracts because of the same reasons the other nurses have left. It's time for the board to open their eyes and take off their rose-colored glasses. Ray-Ray needs to go.
I just truly hope that no person I care about has to be hospitalized at DRMC any time in the near future. Heck, I don't even want any enemies to have to go there! There are some very good doctors there, but they can't do everything by themselves. No hospital can function without good nursing staff, and at this time, that is just not available at DRMC.